In the name of full disclosure, I am not an expert on Hindi, India, or literature. The explanations you find here are the compilation of what I can find on a given term or a phrase. If you see a mistake or if you would like to contribute, please let me know by posting a comment. Thank you.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Ghazal

Maan quoted a couplet from an Urdu ghazal to the effect that the hunter could turn into the hunted, ... (p. 21)

A ghazal is a form of poetry that consists of five or more rhyming couplets and a refrain. This poetic form originated in the pre-Islamic Arabic verse, and became prominent in the 13th and 14th century partially due to the Persian poets Rufi and Hafiz.

Traditionally a ghazal deals with unattainable love, both physical and spiritual. Although, it is mostly a form of Urdu poetry, the ghazal today can be found in poetry of many languages.

In India and Pakistan, classical ghazals were set to music and sung.

References:

1 comment:

Colomb said...

What's most attractvie to me in the book? Certainly Music and Ghazal are among those of my best favorites.
How I wish I could enjoy a live performance of Ghazal in India!